Khel India Foundation is a non-profit organization, currently operating in the "Sports for development" space and aims to bring competitive sport to children studying at low-income city schools, rural schools and communities in India. Headquartered in Delhi, the Foundation was started by a group of Teach For India. Through its activities,the Foundation aims to empower children by using sports to build teamwork, leadership and unity in their schools and communities,and inculcate healthy habits across the board.
We’re not just another organisation set up to encourage people to play sport.
The Foundation is currently focussed on delivering more qualified coaches and officials across eight sports: athletics, basketball, canoeing, cricket, cycling, football, rowing and tennis. Our overall aim is to recruit, train and place more coaches and officials in these sports so that sports clubs, schools and community organisations can offer more, reaching out further across their community and encouraging more children to take part.
- seeks to understand the coaching needs of community sporting organisations
- co-ordinates a training programme to meet those needs
- campaigns to recruit new members to attend the courses
- supports members through the process of obtaining their qualifications
- places new members with sports organisations that need them most
- develops and retains its members to keep them coaching
- fundraises through donations, partners and events